After an initial session with the couple together I usually suggest seeing the couple separately in individual sessions. I also ask the couple to plan a “Date Night” once a week using a series of topics assigned before hand that they are to discuss during the date. Date Night instructions and conversational boundaries.
Date Nights and the Prepare/Enrich program can facilitate the counseling process and reduce the number of sessions needed. It is possible to plan a fun evening together without spending any money, for a list of suggestions click here.
Over 3 million couples have taken the PREPARE/ENRICH Program (5 million people) since it began in 1980. It was developed by David H. Olson, Ph.D Professor Emeritus, Family Social Science, University of Minnesota and it is recognized as one of the soundest clinical tools available to address the challenges of building a functional relationship.
PREPARE/ENRICH is a customized couple assessment completed online or by written questionnaire that both parties complete independently and confidentially.
- 12 Relationship Scales: communication, conflict resolution, roles, sexuality, finances, spiritual beliefs and more
- 5 SCOPE Personality Scales
- 4 Couple and Family Scales: based on the circumplex model
- 4 Relationship Dynamic Scales
- 30 Customized Scales
The results of the assessment are used to assist the couple in understanding what needs to change. Normally the program is completed within four to eight sessions.
The program helps couples:
- Explore strength and “growth” areas
- Strengthen communication skills
- Identify and manage major stressors
- Resolve conflict using the Ten Step Model
- Develop a more committed and trusting relationship
- Explore family of origin issues
- Discuss financial planning and budgeting
- Establish personal, couple and family goals
- Understand and appreciate personality differences
For more information about research with the PREPARE/ENRICH Inventories, view Research Articles.
The cost for the Inventory scoring is normally $35.00.